Silence of the Tigers: Start watching Coven

Silence of the Tigers: This blog is updated every other week. Graphic by Julia Moss.

by Kyle Mendelsohn
If you like really screwed up television programs about witches, voodoo, and other supernatural beings that are even sassier than I am, be sure to start watching American Horror Story: Coven. The dark humor, combined with supernatural entities and the gruesome nature of the show, makes it a great way to kill an hour of your time every Wednesday night.
This show is about a girl named Zoe who arrives at an academy for young witches in New Orleans. The school is lead by a woman named Cordelia, who is joined by her pupils Madison, Nan, and Queenie.  Each witch has a particular skill that they posses, such as clairvoyance, telekinesis, mind control, and several other powerful abilities.
Amongst all the existing witches is one known as the Supreme. The Supreme is a witch that has mastered all the seven wonders, otherwise known as the most powerful witch’s skills.  These skills consist of Telekinesis, Divination, Transmutation, Pyrokinesis, Concilium, Descensum, and Vitalum Vitalia.
As the existing Supreme starts to grow old, another is born and will gradually drain the power out of the current Supreme. The Supreme in this series is Cordelia’s mother, Fiona, a witch obsessed with immortality and one that lacks responsibility.
This show may be predominantly focused around witches, but it also features two characters based off of actual women in history.  One of these women is Madam Delphine LaLaurie, born in New Orleans and known for her active behavior in the torture and murder of slaves. The other woman is the Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau, also from New Orleans.
This show features actors from previous seasons of American Horror Story, such as Evan Peters, Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe, and Sarah Paulson. The season finale premiered Wednesday, Jan. 29th, at 10 p.m. on FX. After every episode, the show becomes increasingly disturbing and twisted, so don’t say I didn’t warn you.