Students annoyed over Hyflex morning policy

Students expressed frustration over the new morning policy implemented at the start of the Hyflex model.

Tiger Drive’s doors open at 9 a.m. every morning and any early students are required to wait outside. The policy advises students only enter through Tiger Drive, and those arriving elsewhere will not be let in through those entrances.

Many students can only arrive at school before 9 a.m., and are forced to wait outside in cold weather and with little to do. For instance, a parent who works may only be able to drop off their child before the doors open. “If people can only get to school before 9:00 a.m. then it’s not really fair that they have to wait in the cold just because they have to arrive earlier,” said freshman Carly Looney. 

Freshman Rachel Kaplan said, “I think the school needs to have specific places, like the SOA, for students to go if they get there early and its cold.” 

According to Adams House dean Khari Roulhac, safety is most important. “We can’t safely open the doors because we don’t have the staff to supervise students before 9 a.m.,” Roulhac said.

Roulhac added that before COVID-19, teachers would monitor the hallways and classrooms in the morning. However, with some teachers staying virtual, there are fewer staff in the building to do so.

Exceptions to the policy include students that receive free breakfast from the cafeteria, as well as students who arrive early on buses. Cafeteria doors open for students at 8:45 a.m., while students from buses can enter early through the Theater Entrance.