Cinemaniac: French film "The Intouchables" shows friendship can change lives

Cinemaniac is a blog updated every week that reviews Netflix movies and movies in the theatre.
Cinemaniac is a blog updated every week that reviews Netflix movies and movies in the theatre. Graphic by Maria Trias.

by Jessica Tharaud

I absolutely loved the French film “The Intouchables,” available on Netflix now. After it finished, all I wanted to do was watch it one more time.

Based on a true story, “The Intouchables” follows the friendship between Philippe (Francois Cluzet), a rich disabled man paralyzed from the neck down and his unlikely caretaker Driss (Omar Sy).

Despite warnings that Driss is a bad influence, Philippe enjoys his company because Driss does not pity him and tells him the truth. Under Driss’s care, Philippe learns to be happy for the first time since his wife died of a terminal illness. Likewise, Philippe allows Driss to enjoy the comforts of being rich. Growing up in a bad part of Paris, Driss took care of his younger cousins while his aunt worked long hours to support them until being imprisoned for robbery.

The characters and the witty writing were the best parts of “The Intouchables.” The movie was hilarious and sweet as Driss and Philippe’s lives changed forever through their love for each other.

For his portrayal of Driss, Sy won the French Cesar Award for Best Actor, the French equivalent of the Oscar. Both he and Cluzet did a tremendous job with their performances, making the characters appear troubled and endearing at the same time.

In particular, Driss steals a Faberge egg from Philippe at the beginning of the movie, not knowing its worth. He denies it, but eventually returns the egg when he realizes its importance to Philippe. By bringing the egg back, Driss shows his emotional maturity and that he has changed through their friendship.

Personally, I loved “The Intouchables” and have no critiques of it. Even though it is in French with English subtitles, I barely even noticed it because I was so enthralled in the movie. I would definitely recommend watching it.