Behind the Bruins: Bruins will start week well, but second night of back to back will prove costly

Click here to read last week’s installation of Behind the Bruins

by Andrew Mannix

Last Week:

After a disappointing week two weeks ago, the Bruins bounced back to score five of the possible six points last week. However, the week didn’t get off to the best start. They had a 2-1 lead with three minutes to go against the Dallas Stars, but after a bad penalty by Dennis Seidenberg, the Stars tied it on a penalty shot. Eventually, after a scoreless overtime, the Bruins lost in a shootout with Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley scoring, the two guys who were traded away last season, giving the Stars a 3-2 win. However, the Bruins did get a point out of it because the game went to overtime.

After a tough loss, the Bruins, losers of four of the last five games, got to face the worst team in Hockey, the Florida Panthers. The team showed no signs of turning it around until the third period when Brad Marchand, Torey Krug, and Riley Smith scored, giving the team a 4-1 win.

The task got much more difficult on Saturday the Bruins faced the Toronto Maple Leafs, who were at the time second in the Atlantic Division. While most Bostonians were watching the Celtics beat the Miami Heat, the Bruins were able to pull off a very impressive win, beating the Maple Leafs 3-1, getting the game winning goal from Patrice Bergeron. With the win the Bruins leap frogged the Leafs

In the total three games, the Bruins won two and lost one in overtime giving them a total of five points. Going from 16 to 21 points, the Bruins now are trailing Detroit and Toronto by one point and Tampa Bay by three.

Next Week:

While everybody gets a day off Monday, the Bruins will have the opportunity to get within a point of first place, when they play Tampa Bay Lightning, currently in first. The Lightning are 12-4-0 with half of their losses due to the Bruins from opening night and Oct. 19. Despite Tampa’s record, Boston has had their number, winning the previous four contests. I expect them to make it five at the Garden Monday afternoon, which would put them in second place in the Atlantic division.

Boston will play their final game on the homestand on Thursday against the Colombus Blue Jackets, who the Bruins have already beat this year in Columbus. Former Bruins star, Nathan Horton, left Boston this offseason for Columbus and for a big check. This game will be the first time we see the Blue Jackets in Boston since he left, but Horton who had surgery in the offseason will not play. They will be in Boston again later this month for the final time this season, but it is unlikely Horton will play. The Blue Jackets had pretty high expectations heading into the year, but they have not lived up to them. They are 6-10-0 which puts them in second to last in the Metropolitan division, a point ahead of Philadelphia. My money is on Boston for this win; they should beat the Blue Jackets rather easily on Thursday night.

After Columbus the Bruins will fly to Ottawa to have a date with the Senators on Friday night, who at the moment are in fifth place in the Atlantic Division, three points behind Boston. It will be the first of four meeting between these two this year. Although the Bruins are the better team, I expect Ottawa to take this game, considering the Bruins will be on the second night of a back to back.

At the end of the week, I expect the Bruins to be in second place in the division racking up four of the possible six points.