Girls' track beats Braintree at home

by Ryan Condon
A consistently strong performance all around helped  girls’ track, 2-0, beat a visiting Braintree team 98-37 Wednesday, according to senior Kayla Wong, a captain with senior Maggie Heffernan.
“Everyone ran well, and especially the underclassmen have been getting some good times,” Wong said.
The team has posted 48 personal records so far this season, 132 away from its goal of 180, according to coach Joe Tranchita. Tranchita said the Tigers have several league best performances: senior Lucia Grigoli in the high jump, Wong in the 100 meter hurdle, junior Carla Forbes in the triple jump, sophomore Evie Heffernan in the one mile and the 100 and 400-meter relays. Tranchita also noted that the team has many other top five ranked performances.
According to Wong, the team lost many throwers last year, and the new throwers are stepping up and filling in nicely.
The team will compete against Needham and Walpole in the coming weeks, but the real challenge, according to Tranchita, will be Weymouth.
“I’d say that we’re off to a fast start, but so is Weymouth, who also has a host of top five rankings,” he said.
Last year the team won the Division I State Championship, something Tranchita said he hopes the team will repeat. Tranchita said that the team’s goals for the season are to win the State meet and the State finals, win the league title and the state relays and achieve 180 personal records.