Plans for spring season push through despite delay due to COVID-19

North, as of right now, will have a spring sports season, despite delay due to the COVID-19 outbreak, but how the season will look for many different sports remains uncertain.

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) stated that the spring sports season will begin no earlier than Monday, May 4, the current date MA schools are supposed to reopen, and, as a result, the season would extend until June 27.

According to athletic director Tom Giusti, the schedule has not been set in stone, but will most likely include 8-12 games, with the majority being against other Bay State Conference teams. However, he hopes to add in a few extra games for the teams, including one against South. 

“I would like to build up our community by playing Newton South at least one game in as many sports as we can for the spring,” he said.

Although unsure, Giusti said the regular season will likely end around June 12, with the post-season tournament beginning on June 16. He added, due to the shortened season, the MIAA is looking at only having district or sectional champions. With so much happening at this time of the year, it’s hard to fit all the games in with such a limited time, he said.

“We are trying to make sure that what we do is achievable,” Giusti said. “This is uncharted waters. And so we’re trying to do what is best for everyone.”