Girls' hockey carries positive outlook after win in first game

by Blake Krantz
Girls’ hockey won its first game 3-1 against Braintree Saturday, a “really great game” against a “tough team” according to senior Alexa McAuliffe, a captain with senior Megan Lenihan.
McAuliffe added that the Tigers’ first and second lines “gelled really well together off the bat and knew how to work with each other.”
The Tigers are playing with a smaller team this year, with five new players and just ten returning players. As Lenihan put it, “we have a pretty good amount of players who are new to the team, so just getting the team chemistry together so we can all work as one unit to win games” is an important objective.
Lenihan also added that during the upcoming winter, the team will “definitely try and make the playoffs and play to the best of their abilities and push each other to go further. What needs to go well is communication on the ice and pushing each other to be better hockey players.”
The Tigers made it to states last season, an accomplishment which is a premier objective this year, according to Lenihan. Last season, however, McAuliffe explained that “the bond wasn’t there and we just didn’t mesh well” as a team.
Moving forward, McAuliffe said that she is “really excited to see how the season plays out” after “how well” the team performed in its first game, expressing the positive outlook for the girls at this point at the beginning of the season.