Column: Work harder to avoid procrastination

[media-credit name=”Jenny Lewis” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Juniors Nick Epstein, Emma Schertz and Tara Cabache socialize in the Library Learning Commons instead of studying.

by Douglas Abrams

Every week night, you may find yourself falling into the same negative patterns, slouching on your couch, eating popcorn, watching Flying Wild Alaska. You know you have homework, but for some intangible reason you just can’t start it. It seems like you are physically unable to get up off the couch, pick up a pencil and work.

Thankfully, there are a few simple and easy ways to shake off a procrastination trance.

First, don’t even start watching television. Once you start you can’t stop. I know, I know, you’re probably flipping through the channels, thinking you can stop in half an hour.

But, guess what? ABC and NBC are just whirling voids of regret and missed assignments.

Second, stay off the internet when you are doing homework on the computer. Similar to television, the internet is just a distraction that detracts from the quality of your work and makes homework assignments take longer.

But, if you can’t resist the temptation to surf the web, at a minimum, stay off Facebook. You can easily lose track of time chatting with friends.

Finally, and most importantly, try not to stress out, even if haven’t started your assignment until the night before it’s due. Just stay calm––freaking out can only hurt you.