Students to perform at charitable event

[media-credit name=”courtesy Janet White” align=”alignright” width=”231″][/media-credit]by Peter Diamond
Hosted annually by the First Unitarian Society in Newton (FUSN), this year’s FUSN Youth Coffeehouse will feature local student performers Saturday 7 to 11:30 p.m., according to senior Claire Perreault, the producer and artistic director for the event.
“The goal in hosting this event is to raise money for the Chuwama Family Home in Zambia, which is a school for AIDS orphans,” said Perreault. “The money raised at the event will go to supplying meals for the children at the school who otherwise might not get to eat at all on some days.”
Acts include three songs performed by Northern Lights, this school’s co-ed a capella group; South sophomore Michael Costello singing and playing guitar; and an appearance by Spontaneous Generation, this school’s improvisational comedy troupe.
Additionally, three student bands will play.
“I think patrons will have a great time at the event,” said Perreault. “In the past, almost everyone who has attended has come back the following year.”
Junior Alec Mapes-Frances, the band coordinator and South junior Sophie Scharlin-Pettee, Perreault’s co-artistic director, are also helping to run the evening.
Tickets will be sold at the door, costing five dollars for students and ten dollars for adults.