Preview: 'Legally Blonde the Musical' to give message of empowerment, self-determination

[media-credit id=25 align=”alignnone” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Members of the ‘Legally Blonde’ cast rehearse a number for their upcoming performances.

by Leah Budson

“‘Legally Blonde the Musical’ reminds us to work hard, to keep learning and to do it all in our own special way,” said award-winning director and choreographer Larry Sousa, who is directing “Legally Blonde.”

The show is a musical based on the eponymous MGM motion picture and on a novel by Amanda Brown. “Legally Blonde” will run Thursday, March 15 through Saturday, March 17 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium, with a 2 p.m. matinee Sunday, March 18.

The show tells the story of Elle Woods, a seemingly stereotypical young blonde woman from California, who follows her former boyfriend to Harvard Law School. Throughout the show, Elle’s attitude changes as she realizes that her own accomplishments can provide more happiness than a lover can.

“The musical’s message of empowerment, passion, focus and self-determination are of such value to students of all ages,” said Sousa.

Sousa said he chose to direct “Legally Blonde” because he thought that Theatre Ink’s “amazing program full of professional-level talent and energy made the show a great fit for Theatre Ink.”

Sousa said that the rights for “Legally Blonde” were released exactly at the time Theatre Ink invited him to direct. “I really think the universe lead me to Theatre Ink at the right time.”
Sousa has tried to “created an atmosphere of professionalism, fun and comfort in rehearsal,” he said.
The biggest challenge was scheduling, according to Sousa. “I work mainly as a professional director and choreographer, and I happen to be working on four other shows and teaching at two colleges right now, so scheduling my life is not easy.”

Sousa said that stage managers senior Mira Netsky and junior Lily Brown were brilliant at handling his schedule, and “are among the most fantastic stage managers I have ever worked with, professional or otherwise.”

Choosing roles for students provided a secondary challenge. “There is so much talent here that casting was a nightmare–too many great people for too few roles.
“I looked for performers who can convincingly deliver what the story needs, whatever that may be. Most importantly, I needed performers who will work hard and immerse themselves completely into the world of the play,” said Sousa, who said that everyone in the cast is accomplishing this objective.
“It has been thrilling to watch the students here work hard and achieve a level of excellence normally reserved for college and professional-level actors, singers and dancers.”
Sousa explained that “some people think ‘Legally Blonde’ is a lightweight ‘fluff’ musical, but that is not the case at all. Though this show is extremely fun and energetic, and yes, pink, at times, it is very smart–a lot more sophisticated than some have heard.”
Sousa said, “The writing is some of the best in contemporary American musical theatre.”
“To me, this line from the show sums up ‘Legally Blonde’ perfectly: ‘Being true to yourself never goes out of style,’” said Sousa.
Tickets will be sold during lunch Friday, March 2 and Friday, March 9 and will be on sale at all lunches during the week of Monday, March 12. They are currently on sale at theatreink.net.