Tigers hammer Norwood with strong serving

by Gloria Li

Sophomore Alana King started off the first game with 10 aces in serves Monday, Sept. 12, when girls’ volleyball played against Norwood at home.
The Tigers claimed a 3-0 (25-10, 25-13, 25-13) victory and managed to outscore Norwood by more than 2-1.
The Tigers kept a strong rhythm throughout the game in regards to its serving and its receiving.
As the Tigers shot strong serves to the Mustangs, they dashed to receive the ball before it hit the ground. Most of the points that Norwood managed to score during the game were a result of the few errors the Tigers made, such as serving out of bounds.
Throughout the second game, the Tigers put up a stronger performance than the Mustangs, but they often miscommunicated when it came to rotating positions.
During the third game, the Tigers switched positions, allowing people to come off the bench and to enhance the team’s overall standing in the game.
Coach Richard Barton changed the positions and appointed two left backs and no lower backs for one of the plays during the game, but the members of the team were able to quickly resolve this issue, according to senior Meredith Abrams, a captain.
Barton said, “Defeating Norwood is typically not difficult to do.”
His statement evidenced itself in the scores against the Mustangs.
“The entire team proves quite strong, and it is among the best in the state, and this first match definitely has demonstrated it,” Barton said.