Math team wins meet, two students chosen to compete at girls' national contest

by Sam Jones
This school’s math team is one of the leading teams in its division, according to math teacher Elisse Ghitelman. In addition, senior Caroline Ellison, the team’s captain, and junior Christina Chen participated in the Math Prize for Girls Olympiad, a national contest.
Chen and Ellison were two of the 43 top female students selected from around the country to compete in the Math Prize for Girls Olympiad, which was Thursday.

“The girls had four proof-type problems and four hours to finish them,” said Ghitelman.

In a meet Wednesday, the math team received a score of 85 points, finishing first in its cluster. The Tigers beat Lexington High School, which is “the best team in the league,” according to Ellison. Chen also earned her second perfect score of the season.

At the math team’s first meet Oct. 12 at Brookline High School, the team received a score of 78 points.

Chen and freshman Kavish Ghandhi had perfect scores in the individual rounds, according to Ghitelman.

“We scored highest in our cluster,” said Ellison.

The team will compete at Brookline Wednesday, Dec. 7 and Wednesday, Jan. 11. The location of the final competition on Feb. 8 will determined by the team’s place in the standings, said Ghitelman.

For more information about the math team, visit its website at http://ghitelman.pbworks.com/w/page/44687973/NNHS%20MATH%20TEAM%202011%20-%202012.