Choreography Project continues to expand horizons of Theatre Ink

For the fourth year in a row, Theatre Ink’s student-led Choreography Project took the stage to showcase diverse dancing styles. The show ran May 1-3 in the Lasker Auditorium and was directed by seniors Sophie Mathewson, Sonia Murthy, and junior Meera Parekh.

Almost 50 students worked together to perform 16 unique dances evoking varying emotions in the audience. The dances were performed in various styles including contemporary, hip-hop, tap, musical theatre, ballet, and jazz.

According to Mathewson, “The Choreography Project is supposed to be fun and entertaining for everyone. The idea was to present a different type of show than what there usually is.”

The full cast, decked out in sparkly pink and silver outfits, kicked off the night with a Jazz group performance inspired by Barbie, to Dua Lipa’s “Dance the Night Away.”

Later into the show, “Drops of Jupiter,” by Train, emphasized dancer’s graceful ballet skills and their capability to perform in different dance styles.

“A lot of organization was put into the show, and I think it was really successful,” said freshman Zara Lookner.

Beyond choreographing, the three directors showcased their ability during their contemporary dance to David Kushner’s song, “Miserable Man.” This particular performance conveyed deep melancholic emotions through the dancer’s complimentary elegant movement.

“The environment was really fun to work in because everyone was really passionate and excited to be there,” said Mathewson.

The show left off on an empowering note with a high-energy performance to Gloria Gaynor’s song, “I Will Survive.” The dancers’ confident facial expressions and movement radiated the energetic mood throughout the auditorium.According to Mathewson,

“The Choreography Project started out as an opportunity for people who were not involved in theater to become involved through dance. It’s gotten more popular every year it happens,” she said.