American Sign Language Club creates space for learning diverse communication

American Sign Language Club formed at North last month to provide a space for students to foster linguistic diversity.

Led by junior Peter Engel, junior Anthony Vincenzino, and junior Will Zakrzewski, the club meets two times a month during Tiger in room 329. According to Engel, the club was started as a result of the club officers’ interest in learning American Sign Language. 

“The main objective for the club is to create an environment where everyone can learn American Sign Language together,” said Engel. “We are also planning on getting funding for Deaf charities.” 

The club meetings begin with an alphabet warm up in American Sign Language, followed by a main lesson that is typically based on a YouTube video, according to Vincenzino.

“We’ll just learn off the YouTube video. After that, we do some practice, and we’ll normally use the principle that we just learned. After we do that, we’ll normally play some hangman in sign language,” said Vincenzino.

Other than normal club meetings, the club plans to hold fundraisers where proceeds will go to charities that benefit the deaf, such as the American Society for Deaf Children, according to Vincenzino.

Although the club is completely set up, along with consistent attendance and a chosen charity, club officers have encountered challenges with providing content, and they are currently seeking help, according to Engel.

“If anybody knows sign language and wants to teach it, we need instructors,” said Vincenzino.

Engel added that for many students, the American Sign Language club is essential in helping them acquire skill sets vital for communication outside of high school.

“It’s important that we can expand our horizons on how to communicate with other people,” said Engel.