Committee anticipates new union proposal on thirteenth day of strike

Gabe Kolodner
Union members gather at City Hall to rally for a fair contract Tuesday, Jan. 30.

Members of the Newton School Committee are awaiting a new proposal from the Newton Teachers Association (NTA) which is expected to be given today, Jan. 31, the thirteenth day of the union strike. 

In a statement released Tuesday, Jan. 30, Mayor Ruthanne Fuller said, “The union should put kids first. Open the schools. End the illegal strike. The rest of us will finish up the contract.” 

Members of the Newton Teachers Association (NTA) negotiations team opted to reject a proposed package presented by the Newton School Committee yesterday, Tuesday, Jan. 30. According to a committee update sent out earlier today, the proposal they offered yesterday included “increased compensation for all NTA employees, with particular focus on Unit C aides,” some of whom would see a wage increase up to 52 percent over the life of the proposed contract. 

According to a statement released by the NTA, the union declined the committee’s proposal as it would have required teachers to compromise on various stipulations. These included retracting their proposal concerning social workers, agreeing to restrictions on the sick bank, and withdrawing additional Unit C hours.

“We are getting closer, but we are not yet there. We will continue working until we reach a compromise agreement that meets our priorities in a financially sustainable way,” added the NTA in a statement yesterday.

According to Fuller’s email sent out yesterday, she attended a meeting at the bargaining room last night along with negotiation teams from both sides. This was the first time she showed up at the bargaining table. 

“The Newton School Committee and I cannot agree to a contract that negatively impacts our students. If the contract is not affordable, our students will suffer from layoffs, larger class sizes and fewer support services,” said Fuller. 

Members of the NTA will continue to rally at the Education Center today in protest of a fair contract.