Turner named new principal for North

by Jacob Sims Speyer
After a two-year hunt for a permanent principal for North, the Newton Public School system announced that Bedford High School principal Henry Turner will take the position as principal.
The announcement, which was sent in an email to the North community from superintendent David Fleishman, called Turner a “highly knowledgeable instructional leader with a keen understanding of teaching and learning.”
In a separate interview, Fleishman highlighted Turner’s ability to work with others, saying that he is “successful in a large high school listening, learning, and leading.”
Within the announcement, Fleishman said “Throughout the search, Henry impressed us with his outstanding record as a high school principal, his experience in meeting the needs of a diverse range of students, and his ability to work successfully in a collaborative manner. In addition, he has demonstrated a capacity for leadership that is characterized by thoughtfulness and fairness.”
Fleishman added that he hopes Turner will “build on the excellent work that has been done at North,” although he offered no specific goals for Turner to accomplish as principal.
Turner, who most recently served as principal of Bedford High School, was selected by a 12 member committee of faculty, parents, and students after completing a multi-month interview process.
Guidance counselor Michele Kennedy, a member of the selection committee, said that throughout the interview process, Turner’s answers “were thoughtful and thorough,” as well as “very engaging.”  
The appointment of Turner as principal marks his return to the Newton school community. Turner previously served as housemaster at South. “[He] brings a knowledge of the Newton community,” Kennedy said. Turner also taught history at Lexington High School.
Turner will take the place of interim principal Mark Aronson at the start of the 2016-17 school year. Aronson replaced former principal Jennifer Price at the start of this school year when the Newton Public School system was unable to find a permanent replacement.