Partners in Kind collects candy to show appreciation for troops

by Lucy Lu
Partners in Kind collected Halloween candy for the past two weeks in boxes outside the Riley House to support Treats for Troops, a program that collects candy to send to troops overseas as an act of appreciation.
This year, Partners in Kind participated in Treats for Troops, founded in 2006, for the first time, after brainstorming at the October club meeting. “Last year we sent holiday letters to the troops around Christmas, so we wanted to continue that tradition,” said junior Anna Porter, a club member. “Candy was a great fit for an October-November event because of Halloween, so when someone proposed Treats for Troops, it was perfect.”
According to Porter, the goal is to support troops by sending them something sweet from home to show support.

photo
Full boxes of candy sit outside Riley house. Photo by Lucy Lu.

However, Porter said she believes that Treats for Troops is more than just a sweet reminder of home. “It encourages kindness at North by showing kids that small, selfless actions can have a big impact on people’s lives,” she said, “and it gives them the opportunity to do something good.”
Similarly, math teacher Tracey Stewart, the Partners in Kind co-founder, said she believes that the project would have a far-reaching impact at North: “Treats for Troops is meant to uplift the spirits of the troops, and hopefully, contributing will uplift the spirits of students too.”
After collecting copious amounts of candy yesterday, Partners in Kind now plans to send all donations to Operation Gratitude, the non-profit organization that sponsors Treat for Troops. “Operation Gratitude is all about being thankful for what we often take for granted,” said Porter, “and through Treats for Troops, we were able to show that in a small way.”