Despite record, girls' soccer begins to improve

Junior Kira Matthews guards the ball from a Brookline opponent, Monday, Sept 21. Photo by Josh Shub-Seltzer

by Blake Krantz
Girls’ soccer, 2-7-3, has “seen some improvement and scored some awesome goals” in the past couple weeks, according to senior Maya King, a captain with seniors Eliza Bresler and Katie Daniel.
King also mentioned that the right mindset has helped contribute to recent success for the Tigers.
“It has been really important for us to keep positive on the field. Staying positive has helped us compete in tough games and has built our team chemistry,” she said.
Daniel added that several recent season-ending injuries have been challenging to overcome, but that the “team has gotten closer” because they need to “support everyone” in tougher times during the season.
English teacher Alicia Carrillo, the coach, explained that this chemistry comes a lot from knowing “which personalities work well together” on the field, a “better sense” that the Tigers have gained as a team in the past couple weeks, although, according to Carrillo, this is still a “work in progress.”
In addition to the team’s cohesion as a unit, Carrillo added that the Tigers’ “understanding of tactical shape” and “ability to connect on the field” in combo play between the strikers and backs have been other key areas of improvement since August.
Among the biggest highlights of the season thus far was the game against Needham, according to King, in which the team “played really well,” revealing “how much potential” the Tigers have for the rest of the season, despite losing 4-0.
Daniel also said that the Tigers “had a strong game” against Needham and “have scored more goals each game than earlier in the season” overall as of late.
For the rest of the year, Carrillo said that the team will focus on “shorter term goals” such as “winning 50/50 balls out of the air” during games and getting at least five shots on goal per half, the latter of which the Tigers have been able to double in recent contests.
Some of these goals may be achieved in practice, such as “shooting and finishing,” according to Daniel, and “focused tactical work” that Carrillo explained that she starts every practice with.
Finally, Carrillo emphasized that she has been “impressed with the girls’ energy, spirit, and commitment to learning,” with a “phenomenal” attitude that will likely help the girls continue their steady improvement in the back end of the season.
The Tigers’ next game is Thursday against Framingham.