Tiger Question: Boston Olympics

Tiger Question: Boston was chosen as the bid city for the 2024 Olympics. There are mixed opinions about what it will do for the city if it is chosen. What are your opinions?
Getting the Olympics represents both opportunity and threats. The opportunities are that we will have millions of visitors coming from around the world who will need places to stay, food to eat, and ways to travel. All of that is new business for Boston, whether you run a hotel or a taxi cab, all those people are going to benefit. The risk is that we spend a lot of public money to build facilities, stadiums, places to stay that don’t pay for themselves and don’t have any use after the Olympics. Economists call these places “infrastructure dinosaurs”. When the Olympics come and go, you’re left with all these places no one has the need for. So, the challenge for Boston will be to build only as many new structures as it feels like it can continue to use in some way. I think part of the appeal of Boston is that there are so many colleges here, as well as stadiums and tracks that we might be able to use what’s already here.
–History teacher Brian Goeselt
It is a cool idea, but I don’t see how Boston has enough space for that.
–freshman Adam Clements
It would be good because they could bud new facilities. For example, there aren’t many swimming pools in Boston. They’re mostly used recreationally. If they build new pools, it would be helpful for swimming teams later. I think it would make Boston not just a city with history, but it would bring it more to the present age. Also, how cool would it be to have it in our hometown?
–sophomore Sarah McEachern
I don’t think crowding is such a huge issue because it would only be for a short amount of time. It would be cool to host it and go see events.
–sophomore Kate Maguire
It would be cool to share my city with all these incredibly talented athletes.
–sophomore Madison Schaefer
It would be interesting to see how it turns out. Also it is awesome that it might be in our hometown.
–junior Chris Moncreiff