Gubernatorial candidate explains value of independent party

by David Kwartler
Evan Falchuk is a Newton North parent running in the gubernatorial midterm elections taking place tomorrow. Falchuk lives in Auburndale and is the creator of the United Independent Party, a new political party that emphasizes increased government efficiency and consideration of voters’ interests, according to Falchuk. The party hopes to unite this state’s independents “united under one banner” and works to champion “socially progressive” initiatives, he said.
Falchuk is running as a third-party candidate with the hope of breaking the gridlock between the two main parties. His new party has expanded and will receive official designation in Massachusetts if he receives 3% in the general election.
In October 2013, Falchuk spoke to this school’s Up Close Club about his campaign and party. Falchuk grew up and attended school in Newton. He went to Noble and Greenough in Dedham for high school and then went to Lehigh University. Falchuk attended law school at the University of Pennsylvania.
[divider]Q&A with Falchuk[/divider]
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]Why did you decide to create the United Independent Party?

[dropcap size=dropcap]A: [/dropcap]I realized the system was set up for historical reasons, but doesn’t reflect the natural order of things today. I knew it was a broken system. I work to not accept the way things are as if they have to stay that way. If you don’t totally believe in what the parties stand for, you have to compromise.
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]How do you hope to engage young voters?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]A big challenge for Massachusetts’ students is their financial security after college. I have a detailed program will lower the cost of living and make it a less expensive state to reside in, allowing students to save money and live somewhere nice.
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]In Massachusetts, 53% of voters are unaffiliated with a political party, while 11% are Republicans and 35% are Democrats. According to a 2014 Gallup poll, nearly two-thirds of Americans are dissatisfied with the current system of government. What significance do you think these statistics have?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]People are leaving the two party system, and they have a smart and thoughtful idea behind doing this. The majority of the state wants a place where people can be thoughtful and rational.
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]What problems has the United Independent Party faced? How have you combatted these issues?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]The major two parties can raise money 15 times more than the United Independent Party can. However, you don’t need money to reach voters, you need to use social media and personally talk to them. Building a party from scratch is like starting up a business, with hard work, passion and dedication.
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]I’ve heard that part of the United Independent Party’s goal is to use strategies usually used in the business world in the government. Why do you think it’s important to do this?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]When people privately, in an entrepreneurial way, use creative methods to help people build businesses and start job training, it is terrific. When you see those real accomplishments’ impact on the community, you think ‘Why is that not a part of the government’s approach?’ The governor’s office needs a leader with an entrepreneurial mindset.
[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]What approach would you bring to office if you were elected?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]I’m the kind of governor that’s going to be proactive, looking for problems to solve.

[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]Why did you want to run? What has campaigning been like?

[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]To involve others and inspire people. The intensity of [the campaign] is amazing. So much happens in these last days. It’s fun, it’s a lot of hard work seven days a week and getting out there and being involved.

[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]What is most rewarding about the campaign process?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]Getting out in communities and mobilizing and engaging voters.

[dropcap size=dropcap]Q:[/dropcap]Why should people vote for you?
[dropcap size=dropcap]A:[/dropcap]A vote for me is a vote for creating a new independent party and a very worthy cause.