Preview: "Blood Brothers" details the tragic story of twin brothers

Juniors+Jonathan+Gomolka+and+Ashley+Campbell+perform+in+Blood+Brothers.+Photo+by+Robin+Donohoe.+
Juniors Jonathan Gomolka and Ashley Campbell perform in “Blood Brothers.” Photo by Robin Donohoe.

Juniors Jonathan Gomolka and Ashley Campbell perform in "Blood Brothers." Photo by Robin Donohoe.

by Jessica Tharaud
Tragic and moving, the musical “Blood Brothers” puts a new spin on a fateful tale. Directed by seniors Kelsey Fox and Julia Roll, the show will run Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium.
Written by Willy Russell, “Blood Brothers” tells the story of two twin brothers separated at birth when their poor mother gives one of them up to her childless employer. They grow up near each other, interacting but not knowing that they are related.
Despite leading drastically different lives, the two become friends. But as they grow up, the audience is warned that the brothers will die on the day they realize the truth.
Theatre Ink’s version of the musical features several differences from usual productions. The show will be set in a movie theatre, connecting the tragic fate of the main characters to the life of Marilyn Monroe.
The narrator, played by senior Ezra Dulit-Greenberg, is commonly portrayed as the devil, according to junior Jonathan Gomolka, a part of the ensemble. Instead, the narrator will serve the purpose of being classless, and much of the play will be from his point of view as a friend of the twins.
Changing the narrator will emphasize themes in the play surrounding superstitions based on wealth. “This has never been done before,” said Gomolka.
Tickets are $10 and are sold at all lunches and on Theatre Ink’s website.