Preview: 'Book of Days' to use unique theatre style

by Jessica Tharaud

Theatre Ink’s next production “Book of Days” explores small town life in a new way. It goes up Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 7:30 p.m. in the little theatre.

“Book of Days,” written by Lanford Wilson and directed by world language teacher Daniel Fabrizio, covers the aftermath of a mysterious death in a small Missouri town. Ruth Hoch, played by junior Natalie Tereshchenko, suspects murder and decides to discover the truth.

This production is a new experience for the audience due to Wilson’s unique writing style, known as epic theatre. “It’s a metatheatrical approach,” said Fabrizio. “The actors present their story and the audience is left to interpret the action based on their own experience and morals, without the typical illusions of ‘theatre’ getting in the way.”

Junior Gabriella Coppola-Flynn, who plays Martha Hoch in the show, said that epic theatre makes this play “much more engaging than regular productions.”

In addition, the complex script gives the actors additional freedom in interpreting their characters, according to Fabrizio. The characters “seem so simple on the surface, yet are deeply conflicted,” he added.

Senior Bethany Lehman, who plays Sharon Bates in the show, said, “I really like Lanford Wilson’s prose. He’s a talented writer.”

Coppola-Flynn added that the show “has a lot of plot twists that I’m looking forward to showing the audience.”

Tickets are $7 and are sold at all lunches and on Theatre Ink’s website.