Quiz Show team advances from previous round

by Emily Moss
After advancing from the qualifying round on Nov. 3, this school’s trivia team became one of 16 teams scheduled to participate in WGBH’s High School Quiz Show later this month.
The show is an academic competition among 96 teams from public high schools in Massachusetts.
The first round of the show will be filmed on Saturday, and the team will appear on television March 1.
The team, created by senior Alex Feit, includes seniors Ezra Dulit-Greenberg, Ned Martenis,  and Daniel Minahan.
Martenis explained, “The qualifying round involved us getting our pictures taken and then being sent to a room with a judge, who asked us a list of questions.
“We had three seconds to respond, and no talking was allowed.”
Seniors Adrian Butterton and Riley Heiman are alternate members for the team who will compete in the show if another member is unable to, and history teacher Gregory Drake is the coach.
According to Martenis, the winners of the show get $250 and the chance to compete against the winners of New Hampshire’s televised Granite State Challenge in the Governor’s Cup Challenge.
Drake said that winning would give this school “a lot of publicity” because so many people watch the show.
He added that he hopes to make it a tradition to have a quiz team at this school.
“It’s pretty cool,” said Martenis. “I’ve never been on television before.”
The show features questions on history, geography, math, science, pop culture, current events, literature, and famous quotations, according to the team members.
Dulit-Greenberg added that the show is somewhat similar to Family Feud.
“It’s all stuff high school students could have picked up in class,” said Minahan, “We’re not memorizing fact books.”
Dulit-Greenberg said, “We haven’t been preparing yet, but we’re going to meet once or twice a week and play each other in trivia games.”
Drake added that the students are working on answering questions as quickly and strategically as possible.
They might even challenge a group of teachers to a game of quiz bowl, he said.
Drake has learned that “there’s a whole circuit of teams that do this on a regular basis.”