Unstoppable girls' basketball finishes off season with strong win

Junior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed sets to pass the ball at a recent game.

by Jacob Gurvis

Girls’ basketball, 19-1, beat Norwood 66-35 in the final game of the regular season on Valentine’s Day, according to coach Linda Martindale.

“The team played aggressive full-court defense and caused Norwood to have several turnovers.  The score after the first quarter was 26-4 because Norwood couldn’t break our press,” said Martindale.
Even with such exceptional play this season, Martindale knows there is work to do before the playoffs. “We need to continue to box-out and rebound. Defense will be critical during the playoffs,” she said.
The Tigers had several players who performed well and led the team to their 19th win, according to Martindale. “Senior Madison Beatrice, our point guard, had 10 points, 10 assists and four steals. Junior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed also had a double-double, with 13 points and a season-high 17 rebounds. Sophomore Amanda Ortiz was our highest scorer with 19 points, 4 rebounds and 3 steals. Senior Gemma Lurie had 10 points and 4 rebounds,” she said.
Playoffs are approaching and Martindale expects the team to be a top seed.
The Tigers have three Conference All-stars, according to Martindale: Beatrice, junior Maddie Bledsoe and  Thomas-Waheed.

“Not only are those three all-stars, but they have been noticed by college scouts,” Martindale said.

“Madison, Infiniti and Maddie are all being scouted by colleges. I have spoken to more than 15 college coaches and I think all three of them will have excellent college basketball careers,” she said.

The playoffs start soon, and the Tigers will look to continue their season successfully, according to Martindale.