Editorial: Respect religion by closing school for holidays

Rosh Hashanah, which was  last week, and Yom Kippur, which starts tonight, are important Jewish holidays, as they mark the New Year and the Day of Atonement.

Although religion should not be taught in school, religion is an important part of many students’ lives, and its existence should be recognized by the school.

There is a respect component to time off from school. This school promotes the diverse beliefs and thoughts of its students, and, in order to do so, we need to give different religions time off for their days of worship and for their holidays.

However, although the school respects Jewish and Christian holidays, it does not give students with other faiths the day off for their holidays. This can be difficult for some students because they have to miss school in order to participate in religious rituals. Although Jews and Christians make up the majority of students, it is important to recognize students of all faiths by respecting their holidays.

Having school on religious holidays does not benefit anyone. Teachers have to teach to half-empty classrooms, and students would have to choose between education and religion, which is not a decision people should be forced to make.

Although religion and school are rightly separated, religion is an important aspect in many students’ and teachers’ lives, and we have to respect everyone’s beliefs.