Review: 'Art Morning' exemplifies year of spectacular artwork

[media-credit name=”Jay Feinstein” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Freshmen Emma Sampson and Nora Bell and sophomore Jake Ezzell look at senior Juliana Law’s work during “Art Morning.”

by Peter Diamond

Student painters, sculptors and photographers displayed their work at “Art Morning” on Main Street, in 127, 129, 131 and outside 127 yesterday  7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
“Art Morning” is an annual event at which artists share their work with friends and family.
On Main Street, seniors from the fine and performing arts department each had a personal display.
Senior Maddy Parmenter’s showcase was especially imaginative, featuring several drypoint prints and pencil drawings, most of which were black and white. Each drawing shared a fantastical image, such as a standing skeleton or a conversing octopi.
Senior Nellie Robinson’s personal display exemplified professional-level talent, particularly in impressionistic self-portraits and pages from her sketchbook. Her art portfolio won her a Gold Key from the Boston Globe Scholastic Art and Writing Awards earlier this year, an art and writing competition for high school students.
Senior Sam Schwamm’s photography showed an impressive amount of artistry and creativity. Many of his pieces featured strong images of sunlight. For example, one photo depicted a road stricken by a flashing beam of sunlight. In addition, he took unique photographs of urban streets and buildings.
Perhaps the most provocative showcase was that of senior Lior Percher who dramatically used nudity to depict the human body realistically through photography. Many of her photographs featured a partially covered nude woman in an apparently urban basement.
Drawings and sculptures were showcased in 127.
Sophomore Kimberly Law’s black and white drawing of a woman wearing earmuffs hung in this room. This piece had a sense of realism due to the emotion of pure surprise on the woman’s face.
Sophomore Maeve Greeley also had a caricature in 127. Her caricature was of a man in the middle of a city. It had a clear sense of humor.
An impressionist portrait by junior Amalia Sweet stood out. The depicted woman was beautifully executed, but the most interesting part of this piece was the background. Sweet had painted a white, haunted-looking, woodsy scene with fantastic depth and perspective.
Many of the most fun, imaginative pieces of “Art Morning” were displayed in 129.
Freshman Emma Sampson’s creative photograph of a distraught woman featured exceptional artistry. She masterfully used focus, so that the piece’s subject was clear and in the front of the frame whereas the background was blurred.
Senior Molly Mamon’s adorable sculpture of a penguin also stood out for being humorous and whimsical.
Ceramics were showcased in 131.
An especially well-made ceramic piece was a decorative dish by junior Emily Abromowitz. The dish featured a jungle scene in which three elephants walked in a single-file line.
“Art Morning” also displayed senior Juliana Law’s decorative plate featuring a tiger. Last year, Law won a Silver Key from the Boston Globe Scholastic Art and Writing Awards for this piece.
Ceramic sculptures by freshman Michael Norris featured characters from the popular children’s book Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. It was a sentimental tribute to a wonderful picture book.
Upon leaving the event, adults and students alike seemed impressed by the outstanding work of the fine and performing arts department.