by Ryan Condon
Winter season student athletes received their varsity letters and athletic awards in the Winter Athletic Awards Night Monday in the auditorium.
Coaches and captains thanked parents, coaches, students and the athletic administration and discussed the teams’ seasons, highlighting their accomplishments.
Girls’ and boys’ basketball both advanced to the state tournament after two amazing seasons with impressive records of 14-6 and 19-4, respectively. Boys’ basketball fell to Brockton in the Division I Sectional Semifinals Wednesday, while girls’ basketball advanced to the second round before losing at Franklin Friday.
Another team that had a successful season was the winter dance team, which placed second at the Bay State Conference Championship Thursday Feb. 9, advancing to states this Sunday.
Additionally, boys’ and girls’ track both placed very well in All-States, and many runners qualified for Nationals.
For each team, one student athlete received an MIAA sportsmanship award for his or her behavior on and off the field throughout the season. The following students received the award:
- senior Nayomi Cawthorne for girls’ basketball
- senior Young Guang for boys’ indoor track
- senior Maggie Heffernan for girls’ indoor track
- senior Jordan Long for wrestling
- senior Kayla McMillen for girls’ hockey
- senior Jamie Moore for boys’ hockey
- senior Ben Salwen for boys’ swim and dive
- senior Hanna Stubblefield-Tave for dance
- senior Parker Veroff for alpine skiiing
- senior Luke Westman for boys’ basketball
- junior Lili Margolin for girls’ gymnastics
- sophomore Ned Martenis for nordic skiing
- sophomore Eric Weiss for boys’ gymnastics